Friday, August 24, 2012

Garden Visitors & The Going Ons



Milkweed Bugs, another reason my milkweed suffers.

Garden Spider -  I just can't disturb her, but I hope she does not snag any butterflies.

Black Swallowtail instar
r
Black Swallowtail caterpillars each at a different stage

Frass from Gulf Fritillary Caterpillar

Black Swallowtail instar

Gulf Fritillary laying an egg on the deck next to the Passion Flower Vine

Red Passion Flower


Tiny Gulf Fritillary caterpillar on leaf of Passion Flower Vine

Little nodule on the leaf secretes a fluid the ants eat and it also looks like a Gulf Fritillary egg.

The coil here is what the Passion vine uses to hold on to structures. I was amazed at how well it blended in with the deck.

GF butterfly laying egg on Passion Vine


I have been collecting the leaves with eggs on them to protect them from the ants. I store them in this container with a small wet paper towel to keep the leaves hydrated. I move them to a protected vine when the caterpillars emerge from the eggs.


No comments:

Post a Comment